Phishing is a technique used by fraudsters to illegally procure personal information like username, password, financial and other sensitive information by falsely imitating/posing to be an authorized person of entity or regulator.
- IRDAI name and Company Logo are misused by fraudsters for sending communication claiming bonus and/or other financial benefits
- Fraudsters use fake email ids posing to be from an authentic source and send fraudulent communications to target prospects
- They ask customers to send Demand Drafts/Cheques or to deposit cash in the name of unrelated entities/individuals to claim bonus/financial benefits
How to safeguard yourself:
- Beware of suspicious email addresses claiming to be from IRDAI/Company and expressing urgency of action. Example - "Provide details within 48 hours or else policy will be cancelled", etc
- Beware of generic greetings like "Dear User", etc
- Do not open email attachments from unknown sender/source; Never reply to, or click links in spam emails
Note:IRDAI or its officials do not sell any kind of insurance or financial products, invest premiums nor announce any bonus. Public receiving such phone calls are requested to lodge a police complaint along with details of phone call, number.