ULIPs: Benefits of ULIPs & 4 Good Reasons to Invest in it
Below is a list of exclusive benefits offered by Unit Linked Insurance Policies (ULIPs) .
- Offer flexibility
- Offer transparency
- Encourage goal-based savings
- Offer tax benefits
ULIPs offer an advantage in terms of being flexible and customisable.
ULIPs provide the flexibility of premium payment. You have the option to move your money between equity and debt funds. ULIPs allow you to withdraw a part of your money whenever you need it. You can also choose where to invest, depending on your risk appetite.
In addition to these benefits, ULIPs also offer tax benefits on the premiums paid as well as on returns received at the end of the policy.
4 reasons you should invest in ULIPs
ULIPs Offer Flexibility
- Flexibility to choose your fund option:Most ULIPs come with a range of equity, debt and balanced fund options to choose from. As a result, you can invest your money as per your risk appetite and return expectations. ULIPs also give you the opportunity to move your money between different funds in order to help you earn maximum returns.
- Flexibility to change your Life Cover:With ULIPs you have the flexibility to choose your Sum Assured* at the beginning of your policy. Some ULIPs also allow you to increase your Sum Assured over the term of the plan to suit your protection needs at different stages in your life (E.g. marriage, childbirth, etc.).
*Sum Assured is the fixed minimum amount that your nominee receives in your absence.
- Flexibility to change your premium investment amount:ULIPs also allow you to pay a top-up amount, over and above your existing premium. You can use this option to maximize the returns from your investment.
- Flexibility to opt for a rider:Riders are optional features you can choose to customise your ULIPs and get additional protection. One of the most common riders is the Unit Linked accident and disability benefit rider. It increases the Life Cover amount that the family receives in the event of an accidental death. It also ensures that your Life Cover continues in case of disability caused by an accident.
^Life Assured is the person for whom the life/health insurance policy has been issued.
ULIPs Offer Transparency
The working of charges in ULIPs is transparent and enables you to make informed decisions with the help of the following features:
- Benefit illustration:As a customer, it is your right to ask for a sales benefit illustration. A benefit illustration helps you understand your premium usage and policy charges. It also highlights important information about the possible returns on the basis of the chosen Sum Assured* and premium.
*Sum Assured is the fixed minimum amount your nominee receives in your absence.
- Product Brochures and key feature documents:While benefit illustrations play a significant role in explaining the measurable aspects of ULIPs, it is important for you to understand other features and benefits offered by ULIPs.
You can go through the product brochure to understand your policy benefits in detail. Once your policy is issued, you will get a key feature document summarizing the key features of the plan. This, along with the product brochure ensures a complete understanding of the plan that you have purchased.
- Free-look period:Most life insurance plans including ULIPs come with a free-look period. This is typically a 15-day window, during which you can cancel your policy if you are not satisfied with it. You will be paid back the entire premium after deducting applicable charges as listed in the policy.
- Net Asset Value (NAV):It is important to monitor the performance of your policy on a regular basis. To help you do this the company publishes daily NAV updates. NAV is the price at which the units of a fund are purchased. A change in NAV price (increase or decrease) gives you an indication of the performance of your funds. To compare fund performances and make informed decisions, you can visit our website www.iciciprulife.com for updates.
ULIPs Encourage Goal-Based Savings
In order to fulfil your important life goals like buying a home, providing for your children’s higher education or ensuring a comfortable retirement, you need to save. ULIPs, being long-term systematic investment options, are one of the most practical ways to do so.
Designed to address key financial goals, ULIPs help you invest your money in a disciplined manner. In the absence of such an approach, there is a risk of your long-term goals being compromised to fulfil short-term needs.
ULIPs Offer Tax Benefits
ULIPs are efficient tax saving instruments which offer unmatched tax benefits during all stages of your policy:
- Stage 1: Entry Advantage –You receive tax benefits* on your premium payments, under Section 80C and Section 80D
- Stage 2: Earnings Advantage –The returns on your investment are not taxable*
- Stage 3: Exclusive Switching Advantage –You can make completely tax-free* debt-equity Switches**
- Stage 4 Exit Advantage –You also receive a Maturity Benefit# which shall be tax-free* under Section 10 (10D)
*Tax benefits are subject to conditions under Section 80C, 80CCC, 80D, 10(10A) and 10(10D) of the Income Tax Act, 1961. Tax laws are subject to amendments from time to time.
**Switch is an option to move your allocated money between equity and debt funds
#Maturity Benefit is the amount you receive when your policy ends